A Temporary Food Stall Licence is required by any food business that wishes to run a food stall, stand or booth at a temporary location or venue.

In our experience, we’ve seen owners of a home-based food assume that they are free to trade at market stalls and events using the same licence. However, this is not true.

Food Agent Australia is your first and only point of call if you would like to secure the correct licence to extend your business or launch a food stall business. We ensure you have the correct food business licences in place to trade, including when operating from a stall or booth that serves food at a market, concert or festival, temporary venue. Council venues such as parks and footpaths have additional vending licences that are separate your food business licence.

Contact us today to secure your temporary food stall licence without delay!

Ask Us How
Call 0477 526 225

Temporary Stall Food Business Licence

What Is It Needed?

If you wish to run a food stall, stand or booth at a temporary location or venue, you may need a temporary stall food business licence, or a combination of food licences.

For example, if you prepare food at home, within a commercial kitchen or manufacturing warehouse and you are planning on selling it at a market, then both food handling areas will need to be licenced.

It’s also important to note that you cannot manufacture at a temporary stall, you can only package unpackaged food. Example: Scooping and weighing spices that the customer selects and packaging it for them to take home.

A temporary stall food business licence is needed if you will be doing any of the following at a temporary stall or set up:


  • Handling of unpackaged food
  • Mixing, blending, cutting or slicing ingredients
  • Heating, cooking, barbecuing or smoking food
  • Cooling, refrigerating or freezing foods
  • Drying foods
  • Juicing foods
  • Packaging foods
  • Taste-testing

The Process to Obtaining a Temporary Food Stall Licence

If you are already licenced as a food manufacturer or a change to home based, the approvals process for a temporary stall food business licence can be smooth sailing, providing you follow the right steps.

Working with Food Agent Australia ensures you will be 100% compliant and ensures all boxes are ticked. Our proven food licencing process includes the following steps:

  • 1. Project and Licence Scoping

  • 2. Compliance Audit, Compilation of Documents, Project Works or Courses

  • 3. Application Submitted

  • 4. Inspection(s)

  • 5. Approvals to Commence Trading

Procuring a temporary stall food business licence can be easy if you don’t overlook specific details required by council and food licencing regulators. Fortunately, Food Agent Australia is very experienced with the legislation and will guide you swiftly through the steps necessary. Before you know it, you will be proudly displaying your brand and food products at your favourite markets and events.

We explain the process for getting a Food Business Licence in more detail on this page.

Which Foods Do I Need a Temporary Food Stall Licence for?

If the food product that you sell, produce or handle is on the following list, then you will need a temporary stall food business licence to trade at a market, food stall, pop-up food stand, food truck or trailer:

  • BBQ stall and sausage sizzles
  • Smoked Meats, jerky and biltong
  • Pancakes, churros, and crepes
  • Ice cream, desserts, yoghurt or gelati
  • Homemade baked goods, cakes, cookies and biscuits stall
  • Stalls preparing deep-fried foods such as hot chips, spring rolls
  • Dagwood dogs and hot dogs
  • Fudge, confectionery, chocolates
  • Coffee, coffee beans and teas
  • Burgers and fries
  • Fruit and juices, smoothies and health shakes
  • Toffee apples
  • Spices, herbs, marinades, sauces and condiments
  • Pizza, pasta and lasagne


How to Prepare for a Temporary Stall Food Business Licence

If you already have a home-based license, fixed premises or manufacturing licence, you will have appreciation for the complexities around food business licensing. The good news is, Food Agent Australia is 100% independent and offers a one-stop shop when it comes to compliance, licensing, accreditation and more!

So, when you want to extend your food business operations – or simply want to launch a food business that revolves solely around markets and events – your licencing will need to be appropriate for your chosen venue or location. Don’t assume that your existing licence covers you!

In addition to securing your Food Business Licence, our highly sought-after Food Safety Program and Safe Food Accreditation to maintain safe food handling standards and compliance for your food business, regardless of where your products are sold.


Food Agent Australia is 100% independent. Our experienced and knowledgeable team will take the hassle out of securing your temporary stall food business licence and advise if any other permits may be required to ensure you are fully compliant.